Los Angeles Opera to investigate Placido Domingo over harassment accusations
Spanish tenor Placido Domingo attends a press conference at the Estates Theatre in Prague, Czech Republic, 25 October 2017. EFE/EPA FILE/MARTIN DIVISEK
Spanish tenor, conductor and art administrator Placido Domingo during an interview in New York, New York, USA, 09 October 2018. EFE/EPA FILE/ALBA VIGARAY
Spanish tenor Placido Domingo performs during the Peralada's Festival concert played at the Peralada's castle in Girona, norteastern Spain, 29 July 2018. EPA FILE/ROBIN TOWNSEND
Los Angeles, Aug 13 (EFE).- The Los Angeles Opera announced Tuesday that it will open an investigation into Placido Domingo, the general director of the institution since 2003, over accusations of sexual harassment against him revealed earlier this week.
The Los Angeles Opera "will engage outside counsel to investigate the concerning allegations about Placido Domingo," the institution said in a statement obtained by EFE.
"Placido Domingo has been a dynamic creative force in the life of LA Opera and the artistic culture of Los Angeles for more than three decades. Nevertheless, we are committed to doing everything we can to foster a professional and collaborative environment where all our employees and artists feel equally comfortable, valued and respected," the opera continued.
An opera legend and world star in the classical music field, the Spanish-born tenor has been accused by eight female singers and a ballerina of subjecting them to unwanted sexual advances and pressure.
The 78-year-old Domingo responded that the accusations were "deeply troubling" and "inaccurate," adding that he has "always" believed that all his interactions and relationships with women were "welcomed and consensual."
The accusers say that Domingo continually pestered female colleagues for sex, kissing and touching them without consent and allegedly suggesting at times that succumbing to his advances might obtain better roles for them. None of the accusers claims that he ever used "force" against them, although the abuse was "mental" and ongoing.
Domingo, meanwhile, said that "The allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as 30 years are deeply troubling, and, as presented, inaccurate."
"Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable - no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions. I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual," he said.
"People who know me or who have worked with me know that I am not someone who would intentionally harm, offend, or embarrass anyone. However, I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are - and should be - measured against today are very different than they were in the past," the tenor said, adding that he will "hold (himself) to the highest standards."
Mezzosoprano Patricia Wulf, the only one of the accusers to speak publicly and not anonymously, told EFE on Tuesday that her accusation that Domingo pressured her to sleep with him was true and claimed to have "a witness who will back it up."
The Philadelphia Orchestra also reacted to the news of the accusations, saying on Tuesday that it is cancelling Domingo's performance scheduled for Sept. 18 and previously slated to be the grand opening for its concert season.
Despite this cancellation, Domingo will perform at the Salzburg Festival on Aug. 25 and 31, as planned, according to festival organizers.
The Salzburg Festival is one of Europe's most prestigious and it has a long artistic relationship with Domingo that goes back over 50 years.
Salzburg Festival backs Domingo, upholds August performances
Vienna, Aug 13 (efe-epa).- The president of the Salzburg Festival gave her backing Tuesday to Plácido Domingo, who has been accused by nine women of sexual assault, and confirmed the Spanish opera singer would be giving performances on Aug. 25 and 31 as planned.
“I’ve known Plácido Domingo for more than 25 years. He impressed me from the beginning, along with his artistic ability, his respectful manner with all workers and workers of the festival,” Helga Rabl-Stadler said in a statement supplied to Efe.
She said Domingo knew “everyone’s names, from the doorman to the secretary (of the festival)” and was grateful for any help he is given.
“If the accusations against him had also taken place at the headquarters of the festival, I would have known,” she said.
Rabl-Stadler said she always practices the “in dubio pro reo” principle, a Latin expression meaning that the accused cannot be convicted when doubts over his/her guilt remain.
“I think it is objectively incorrect and humanly irresponsible to make a definitive judgment at this time and take decisions on this basis,” said the head of the festival with regards to the singer’s upcoming performance.
The festival’s artistic director, Markus Hinterhäuser, sales director, Lukas Crepaz, and Rabl-Stadler are all agreed that Domingo should sing, as planned, at the Luisa Miller as part of the 2019 edition of the festival, the statement concluded.
Festival sources told Efe that Domingo was not in Salzburg right now.
The Salzburg Festival is one of Europe’s most prestigious and it has a long artistic relationship with Domingo that goes back over 50 years.
The Associated Press published a report on Tuesday morning featuring the accounts of nine women - eight singers and a dancer - who accuse 78-year-old Domingo of sexual assault, allegedly over the past 30 years.
Domingo responded to the allegations in a statement and was cited by AP as saying he believes all of his “relations” with women were “always welcomes and consensual,” and dismissed the accusations as “inaccurate”.
He acknowledged that “rules and standards by which we are - and should be - measured against today are very different than they were in the past.
“I am blessed and privileged to have had a more than 50-year career in opera and will hold myself to the highest standards,” he added. EFE-EPA